Dr. Pratik Patil is a highly skilled and experienced Medical Oncologist who specialises in the treatment of breast cancer. He has completed DM Medical Oncology from New Delhi and is also a Fellow in Thoracic Oncology from Michigan State Cancer University, USA, and has more than 10 years of experience in treating various types of cancer. He is associated with reputed medical institutes in India, such as Max Institute of Cancer Care and Sir HN Reliance Hospital, where he has served as a Senior Resident in Medical Oncology. Dr. Pratik Patil has extensive training in internal medicine and medical oncology, enabling him to provide comprehensive care to his patients. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and Indian Physicians Association. Dr Pratik Patil is registered with Maharashtra Medical Council and Delhi Medical Council.
Dr. Pratik Patil has presented papers and data at various international conferences, including the International Conference on Medicine and Biology in Bangkok and the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) in Barcelona. He has published several research papers in reputed medical journals including International Journal of Molecular and Immuno-Oncology, IOSR, JMSCR and IJSR. Dr. Pratik Patil expertise and dedication have earned him recognition in the medical community and he has been awarded a gold medal for paper presentation at the International Conference on Medicine and Biology in Bangkok. He has also been involved in academic activities as a Lecturer in Internal Medicine at Bharti University Medical College and Hospital.
Overall, Dr. Pratik Patil is a highly skilled and experienced medical oncologist with a keen interest in the treatment of breast cancer. His knowledge, skills and dedication to patient care make him the best breast cancer specialist in Pune.
What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the breast tissue. It usually begins in the cells that line the milk ducts or lobules of the breast and can spread to other parts of the body if left untreated. Common symptoms of breast cancer include a lump or thickening in the breast or underarm, changes in breast size or shape, nipple discharge, and skin changes. Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among women, but can also occur in men. Early detection and treatment of breast cancer can significantly improve the chances of survival.
Causes/Risks of Breast Cancer:
Breast cancer is a complex disease, and its exact causes are not fully understood. However, there are several factors that can increase a person’s risk of developing breast cancer, as stated by Dr. Pratik Patil, a renowned medical oncologist and breas cancer specialist in pune.
Some of the common risk factors associated with breast cancer are:
- Age: The risk of breast cancer increases with age. Women who are 50 years or older are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer.
- Gender: Breast cancer is more common in women than men. Men can also develop breast cancer, but it is rare.
- Family history: A family history of breast cancer can increase a person’s risk of developing the disease. Women with a first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) who has had breast cancer are at a higher risk of developing the disease themselves.
- Genetic mutations: Some genetic mutations, such as BRCA1 and BRCA2, can increase a person’s risk of developing breast cancer.
- Hormonal factors: Hormonal factors such as early onset of menstruation, late onset of menopause, and the use of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can increase a person’s risk of developing breast cancer.
- Lifestyle factors: Certain lifestyle factors such as lack of physical activity, being overweight or obese, and excessive alcohol consumption can increase a person’s risk of developing breast cancer.
- Exposure to radiation: Exposure to ionising radiation, especially during childhood, can increase a person’s risk of developing breast cancer.
It is important to note that having one or more of these risk factors does not necessarily mean that a person will develop breast cancer. Regular breast cancer screenings and early detection can help improve the chances of successful treatment and recovery.
Signs and Symptoms of Breast Cancer:
Stages of Breast Cancer:
Breast cancer is a complex disease that can be classified into different stages based on the extent of cancer’s spread. Dr. Pratik Patil follows the commonly used system for breast cancer staging, which is the TNM staging system.
The TNM system takes into account the size and extent of the primary tumour (T), whether cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes (N), and whether cancer has metastasized or spread to other parts of the body (M).
The stages of breast cancer according to the TNM system are as follows:
Stage 0: This stage is also known as ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). In this stage, the cancer cells are confined to the milk ducts and have not spread to surrounding tissue.
Stage I: In this stage, the tumour is small and confined to the breast. It has not spread to the lymph nodes or other parts of the body.
Stage II: This stage can be further divided into IIA and IIB.
- In stage IIA, the tumour is small but has spread to the axillary lymph nodes.
- In stage IIB, the tumour is larger, and it may or may not have spread to the lymph nodes.
Stage III: This stage can be further divided into IIIA, IIIB, and IIIC.
- In stage IIIA, the tumour is larger and has spread to nearby lymph nodes, which may be clumped together.
- In stage IIIB, the tumour may have spread to the chest wall or skin, and there may be swelling or ulcers in the breast.
- In stage IIIC, the cancer has spread to lymph nodes above or below the collarbone or to lymph nodes on the opposite side of the chest.
Stage IV: This stage is also known as metastatic breast cancer. In this stage, the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, such as the bones, liver, or lungs.
The stage of breast cancer plays an important role in determining the treatment options and the prognosis for the patient. Dr. Pratik Patil emphasises the importance of early detection and regular screening to diagnose breast cancer in its early stages when it is most treatable.
Diagnosis of Breast cancer:
According to Dr. Pratik Patil: breast cancer doctor in Pune, the diagnosis of breast cancer involves a combination of imaging tests, physical examination, and biopsy.
The first step in the diagnosis of breast cancer is usually a physical examination, during which the doctor will feel the breasts for lumps or other abnormalities. This is usually followed by one or more imaging tests, such as a mammogram, ultrasound, or MRI, which can provide more detailed information about any abnormalities found during the physical exam.
If an abnormality is detected on the imaging tests, a biopsy is typically performed to determine whether the abnormality is cancerous. During a biopsy, a small sample of tissue is removed from the breast and examined under a microscope by a pathologist. If the biopsy confirms the presence of cancer, additional tests may be performed to determine the stage of the cancer and whether it has spread to other parts of the body. These tests may include a CT scan, bone scan, or PET scan.
Once a diagnosis of breast cancer has been confirmed, the patient will work with a team of healthcare providers to develop a treatment plan that is tailored to their specific situation. Treatment options may include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and/or targeted therapy.
Treatment of Breast Cancer:
Breast cancer treatment depends on several factors, including the stage and type of breast cancer, as well as the patient’s overall health and preferences. Dr. Pratik Patil provides best breast cancer treatment in Pune, typically recommends a personalised treatment plan for each patient, which may include:
Surgery: The goal of surgery is to remove the cancerous tumour from the breast. Depending on the size and stage of the tumour, surgery may involve a lumpectomy (removal of the tumour and surrounding tissue) or a mastectomy (removal of the entire breast). In some cases, Dr. Pratik Patil may also recommend lymph node removal.
Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy is often used after surgery to destroy any remaining cancer cells and reduce the risk of recurrence. Radiation therapy uses high-energy beams to kill cancer cells.
Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is a systemic treatment that uses drugs to kill cancer cells throughout the body. Chemotherapy may be recommended before or after surgery, depending on the type and stage of breast cancer.
Hormone therapy: Hormone therapy is a treatment that targets hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. This type of breast cancer relies on hormones to grow, so hormone therapy is used to block the effects of hormones or reduce their production.
Targeted therapy: Targeted therapy is a type of treatment that targets specific molecules or proteins involved in cancer cell growth. Targeted therapy may be used in combination with other treatments, such as chemotherapy or hormone therapy.
Dr. Pratik Patil emphasises the importance of regular breast cancer screening and early detection. If you have any concerns about breast cancer, he recommends talking to your doctor about your risk factors and screening options.
How much does Breast Cancer treatment cost in Pune?
Dr. Pratik Patil is an Internationally recognized Best Oncologist in Pune with experience of more than 10 years. Breast Cancer treatment in Pune is a very affordable and low-cost procedure that takes very little time to operate and does not require a long doctor’s stay. Breast Cancer Treatment cost in Pune is between Rs.90,000 to Rs.15,00,000. The patient has to stay in the hospital for 5 days and outside the hospital for 20 days. The total cost of the treatment depends on the diagnosis and facilities opted for by the patient.
Why Choose Dr. Pratik Patil for Breast Cancer Treatment in Pune?
- Expertise: Pratik Patil is a highly qualified and experienced oncologist specialising in breast cancer treatment. He has extensive training and experience in the diagnosis, staging, and treatment of breast cancer, and has treated many patients with the disease.
- Multidisciplinary approach: Dr. Pratik Patil follows a multidisciplinary approach to breast cancer treatment, working closely with a team of experts, including surgeons, radiologists, pathologists, and other specialists, to provide comprehensive and personalised care to each patient.
- Latest treatments: Dr. Pratik Patil stays up-to-date with the latest advances in breast cancer treatment and uses the most advanced and effective treatments available, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy.
- Compassionate care: Dr. Pratik Patil and his team provide compassionate and supportive care to patients and their families, addressing their concerns, and helping them cope with the physical and emotional challenges of breast cancer.
- Convenient location: Dr. Pratik Patil’s clinic is located in Pune, making it convenient for patients from the city and surrounding areas to access high-quality breast cancer treatment without having to travel far.
Looking for Chemotherapy in Pune?
Dr. Pratik Patil is the best Medical Oncologist in Pune with experience of more than 10 years.He has special interests in chemotherapy treatment. For more information about cancer and treatment options, or to book an appointment with the best Cancer Specialist in pune call +91 9637439163 or Click on Book Appointment for online booking.